Ave's political link dump
Hey, welcome to my political link dump. Here you can find some things I tend to link to often, so often that I had tags for it on Discord. I decided to move them here to have more a bit more freedom wrt how I present the information, and who I present the information. This is a work in progress, and I will try to keep adding useful links as I find them. Enjoy.
Feel free to send me links to include here, or if you have a proper data backed (and I don't mean bullshit nitpicked data, I mean proper data) arguemnts against the stuff I'm linking here. My email is [email protected].
Everyone's favorite space guy who pulled himself up from his shoelaces, whose all ideas are great. Except not.
I can't come up with a factual source because all you need to see this is look at his twitter, but he also tries to look like "our guy" to the public by acting like a teenager on Twitter to get a supporter base against people speaking out against him, just like Martin Shkreli did.
- He comes from rich family that owned mines that abused people: Elon Musk's family owns an emerald mine in Zambia — here's the fascinating story of how they came to own it, from Business Insider
"Instead Errol returned to South Africa with a half-share in a Zambian emerald mine, which would help to fund his family's lavish lifestyle of yachts, skiing holidays, and expensive computers."
- He comes from rich family that owned mines that abused people, continued: A teenage Elon Musk once casually sold his father's emeralds to Tiffany & Co. while his dad was sleeping, from Business Insider
"We were very wealthy," says Errol. "We had so much money at times we couldn't even close our safe."
With one person holding the money in place, another other would slam the door.
"And then there'd still be all these notes sticking out and we'd sort of pull them out and put them in our pockets."
- He was abusive to his wife: "I Was a Starter Wife": Inside America's Messiest Divorce, from Marie Claire (somewhat old news, from 2010)
Still, there were warning signs. As we danced at our wedding reception, Elon told me, "I am the alpha in this relationship." I shrugged it off, just as I would later shrug off signing the postnuptial agreement, but as time went on, I learned that he was serious. He had grown up in the male-dominated culture of South Africa, and the will to compete and dominate that made him so successful in business did not magically shut off when he came home. This, and the vast economic imbalance between us, meant that in the months following our wedding, a certain dynamic began to take hold. Elon's judgment overruled mine, and he was constantly remarking on the ways he found me lacking. "I am your wife," I told him repeatedly, "not your employee."
"If you were my employee," he said just as often, "I would fire you."
- While some of his ideas succeeded in the past, his newer ideas are far from good. Hyperloop got thoroughly debunked, and here's the "loop" being debunked: Elon Musk's "Loop" - It's bad, folks, by donoteat01
- The technology behind Tesla is horrifyingly bad: https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1032939617404645376 (thread)
- His company, Tesla, doesn't care about well-being of workers: Tesla Factory Used Lyft Instead of Ambulances to Send Workers to the Hospital, Report Says, from Fortune (also check out links on that article!)
"The goal of the clinic was to keep as many patients off of the books as possible,"
- He called a british diver who saved children in a flooded cave (when he was planning to save them by inventing something first... yeah, right) a pedo, because he was in Thailand: Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue 'pedo' in baseless attack, from The Guardian
Twelve boys and their football coach were rescued from the Tham Luang cave complex by an international team and after a week of intense drama.
The chief executive of the tech giant Tesla offered to assist the rescue mission by providing a submarine. The request was turned down. Musk lashed out on Sunday, saying he would make a video proving that his “mini-sub” would have been successful and adding: “Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it.”
The accusation, presented without evidence or context, was directed at Vern Unsworth, a British cave explorer who recently said Musk’s attempt to help the rescue effort was a “PR stunt”. No evidence has emerged to substantiate Musk’s claim of pedophilia.
- He posted people's fanart without credit, refused to give credit afterwards, and then acted like an edgy teenager and blacked out his picture and tweeted "Just deleted my twitter account". As of the time of writing this he deleted said tweet and changed to a "I heart fanart" profile picture. Here's an article on the incident by PC Gamer.
The issue was that Musk tweeted the fan illustration to his 27 million followers with just the caption "2b" and no credit for the artist. When someone told him he should credit the artist, he replied "No."
Musk added that "any fool can find out who the artist was in seconds" and that the act of crediting artists is "destroying the medium" of Twitter. He later deleted those tweets, as well as the original tweet containing the artwork.
- Why Milkshaking Works, by The New Republic
What these critiques misunderstand is why milkshaking is so potent against Farage and his brethren: It humiliates them. Nothing animates the far right or shapes its worldview quite so much as the desire to humiliate others—and the fear of being humiliated themselves. [...]
Getting doused in a milkshake robs far-right figures of the air of chauvinistic invulnerability that they spend so much time cultivating. They hunger to be taken seriously despite their racist views. They want to be described as dapper, to be interviewed on evening news broadcasts and weekend talk-show panels, and to be seen as a legitimate participant in the democratic process. Most politicians to the left of Enoch Powell would brush off milkshaking as a harmless stunt. For those seeking mainstream legitimacy, it’s another searing reminder that they don’t belong.
"Honk Honk" / "Honkler" / "Clown World" / "Clown Pepe" / "fren" is a fascist meme.
Quick rundown of the dogwhistles:
"Honkler" is a portmanteau of "Honk" and "Hitler".
"honk honk" / "honk honker" / "honk honkler" = heil hitler.
"fren" = someone on their side
"non-fren" = anyone but "frens", including any sort of minorities
"bop" = kill, attack, ban
The fight on this set of subreddits seems over. Thank you for all your hard work, and keep it up, comrades o7
Feel free to link to this page. Just don't be an asshole and brigade it or whatever. And don't even check my horrible hand written HTML. It's baaaaad.